Friday, February 28th, 2020 - 2 PM EASTERNDownload Now!
The International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization declared the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) outbreak a “public health emergency of international concern.” Governments at the State, Local, and Federal levels are acting to contain the outbreak, including providing resources and information for organizations and agencies. With so many teams across the nation working independently towards the same goal, it is useful for both public and private organizations to understand how the community response is developing.
Our speaker, former Deputy Administrator of FEMA Richard Serino, has been advising governments on leadership and their infectious disease preparedness and response. Mr. Serino joins us for a discussion on how governments are planning for and responding to COVID-19. Some key considerations include:
- Governance and authority: which agency is responsible for leading the response, and who has the authority? How are state and local governments working together with the Federal government?
- International diplomacy: how is the US engaging with international partners?
- Private sector partnerships: how are private sector entities aiding government response?
- Situational awareness: who needs access to what information, and when and how should information be shared?
- Leadership: how can community members ground themselves amidst turbulence; accurately perceive what is happening and what to do about it; and forge robust connectivity with the full range of stakeholders?
Addressing this rapidly evolving public health emergency requires a coordinated approach; attend “Coronavirus Response: Government Policy and Operational Considerations” for a behind the scenes look with a government insider.
Richard Serino spent more than forty years in public service. During that time he provided extensive leadership on emergency management, emergency medical and homeland security at local, state, federal and international levels.
Mr. Serino responded to over 60 national disasters while at FEMA and during Super Storm Sandy, he was the lead federal area commander for New York and New Jersey. Serino was also on the scene at the Boston Marathon bombings as the Department of Homeland Security senior official. Serino briefed the President of the United States, Barack Obama, on a number of disasters and briefed and traveled with Vice President Biden to a number of affected communities to survey the destruction.
Mr. Serino is currently a Distinguished Senior Fellow at Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health, National Preparedness Leadership Initiative and a Senior Advisor at MIT’s Urban Risk Lab.